Teen Council for Conservation
About the Teen Council for Conservation Program
The L.A. Zoo is launching its first-ever Teen Council for Conservation to unite youth and create pathways towards a future centered on conservation solutions in Los Angeles. This program will serve diverse Angelenos highlighting their strengths as leaders, building skills in conservation and community building, and empowering youth to enact change in themselves, at the Zoo, and in their communities. The Teen Council for Conservation will focus on issues surrounding conservation, social and environmental justice, and climate, and the specific focus will be determined by the members each year.
Program Description and Commitment
The Teen Council for Conservation will consist of a maximum of 30 youth participants. Participants will serve for a nine-month term beginning in 2022 that includes virtual and in-person meetings, as well as planned activities and events. The estimated monthly time commitment for the participants is 5-8 hours. Additional meeting and time commitment concerns will be addressed with members of the Council and are subject to change to meet the needs of each cohort and their projects.
The L.A. Zoo Teen Council for Conservation program is intended to provide young Angelenos with direct engagement and educational experiences to benefit their career and educational paths. Based on the varied socioeconomic status of youth within the City of Los Angeles, the Zoo Department will offer an educational stipend of $300.00 per month to participants of the L.A. Zoo Teen Council for Conservation.
- Age 14-18 and enrolled in high school
- Live within the City of Los Angeles
- Interest in animals, zoos, conservation, and/or the communities of Los Angeles
- Commitment to belonging, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and diversity
- Submit a completed L.A. Zoo Teen Council for Conservation Application
- Provide up to three references
- Application Open: Tuesday, October 4, 2022
- Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m., Monday, October 24, 2022.
- Initial Meeting: November 2022
- End Date: July 2023