Title: Grant Writer
Reports to: Director of Government and Foundation Relations
Status: Full time, Exempt
Under the direction of the Director of Government and Foundation Relations, the Grant Writer will develop, write, and submit grant proposals for a wide variety of programs and initiatives, both restricted and unrestricted, to a wide range of organizational, governmental, public and private funding agencies and organizations. The Grant Writer will coordinate proposal teams and collaborators; support proposal and budget development; write and edit proposal narratives and budgetary justifications; submit proposals and required attachments; track proposals and coordinate participation in ongoing funding opportunities; track reporting schedules; write, edit, and produce grant progress and final reports, and narrative donor reports. Additionally, the grant writer will research other funding opportunities to continue to widen the GLAZA’s portfolio of foundation and government support.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and government sources.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and government funders to evaluate prospects.
- Work with Finance Department and Program Directors to gather information necessary to comply with all grant writing and reporting requirements.
- Provide donor stewardship with regular communication and outreach.
- Maintain a timeline for all grant applications and necessary reports.
- Develop knowledge of institutional history and programs.
- Assist in coordinating site visits with foundation officers and other grant prospects.
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to Development Department needs and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship (visitor number and diversity, educational program attendance, etc).
- May be asked to work with GLAZA Trustees on special projects.
- Through coordination with Special Events, assist with the planning of the annual Foundation Luncheon.
- Provide weekly grant reports, analyses, and forecasts for presentation at Development meetings.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested.
- Staff events as needed.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Skills & Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher.
- A minimum of two years’ work experience in grant writing, maintaining a significant portfolio of proposals and reports.
- Proven track record of raising funds from foundation and government sources.
- Demonstrated skills to communicate persuasively, orally and in writing, about mission-driven programs.
- Demonstrated ability to compose letters and proposals that are grammatically correct and properly formatted.
- Proficient with MS Office Word and Excel.
- Experience with database systems. Raiser’s Edge experience preferable.
- Strong research, analytical, and planning skills.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the principles and practices of development and fundraising.
- Interpersonal skills to develop and maintain close and effective working relationships with staff members in a diverse range of functions across multiple departments.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and complete work in a timely manner while handling many deadlines and competing requirements.
- Skills in listening perceptively, conveying sensitivity and awareness of prospective donors.
- Demonstrated ability to forecast fundraising targets and to evaluate and report progress, forecast and monitor expenses, and take corrective action when necessary.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
- Ability and willingness to routinely move around Zoo Grounds.
- Ability to work extensively on computers and telephones.
- Integrity and highest standards of professional conduct.
- Required to work all GLAZA galas.
**For the protection of our staff, GLAZA requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination for COVID-19.
The salary range for this position is $70,000 to $75,000, depending upon experience and qualifications. GLAZA provides full-time employees with a full range of benefits, including medical, dental, can vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; an FSA plan; paid vacation and sick leave; a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match and additional employer contributions based on longevity; 16 paid holidays per year; free parking; complimentary daytime passes to the Zoo and to L.A. Zoo Lights; and discounts on Zoo concessions and merchandise.
To apply for this position:
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include Grant Writer in the subject line of your email.
Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls or emails, please