Campo Gorilla Reserve
The 26,000-square-foot Campo Gorilla Reserve was inspired by the species’ native habitat, the West Central African rainforest. The expansive, multilevel exhibit features lush greenery and cascading waterfalls and provides a stimulating environment for its resident gorillas. Two large glass windows allow face-to-face encounters with these peaceful primates, the largest of the apes.
- Exhibit earned awards for architectural excellence and engineering achievement.
- Five viewing areas allow for a variety of perspectives and up-close interactions between gorillas and guests.
- Two separate habitats house a family troop and a bachelor group.
- Lush vegetation, grassy hills, and cascading waterfalls provide a stimulating environment and evoke the feel of the African rainforest.
- Holding area with nine bedrooms connected by a series of shift doors that allow for tremendous flexibility in managing gorillas.
- A large open-air enclosure allows gorillas to have access to the outdoors even when they are off exhibit.