Special Program Assistant II – Custodial Services
$18.36 per hour
(The current salary range is subject to change. You may confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.)
Available Hours / Schedule
Typically, Monday through Friday 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM; Saturday, Sunday and holidays 11:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; number of hours may vary. May also require weekends and holidays.
Job Description / Duties
This is an at-will exempt intermittent position which can be terminated at any time without cause. A Special Program Assistant II (Custodial) will perform a variety of cleaning and janitorial tasks in Zoo facilities and around Zoo grounds. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning tiles, floors, stairways, hallways, and restrooms
- Cleaning, dusting, and/or polishing office furniture
- Replenishing restroom supplies
- Cleaning, washing, and polishing windows, hand railings, elevators, and door hardware
- Emptying wastebaskets and trash cans
- Moving and arranging chairs, tables, appliances, and other furniture and miscellaneous objects for scheduled activities
- Replacing electric light globes and fluorescent lamps
- Picking debris
- Assisting in the sweeping and washing of cement walkways and other areas
- Some duties may be outdoors and may be exposed to the sun and heat for a prolonged period of time
Qualifications / Requirements
- A general knowledge of
- cleaning methods and the proper use and maintenance of materials, chemicals, disinfectants, and custodial and kitchen equipment; and
- safety practices as applied to custodial and kitchen clean-up work and related equipment.
- Must also be able to operate electric cleaning and other light custodial equipment; do sustained physical work; handle fragile items carefully
- Must be able understand and follow oral and written directions
- Be able to communicate effectively and tactfully with other employees and the public
- Previous custodial experience is preferred
Interested candidates may submit a resume, Zoo application, or City application by email to [email protected] or fax (323) 644-4776 or drop it off at a Zoo Admissions Window.
You may download the City application from https://per.lacity.org/doc.cfm?get=CityApp or obtain a copy of a Zoo application from Zoo Admissions at 5333 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90027 or a City application from the City’s Personnel Department at 700 E. Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA. Please do not input your social security number or driver’s license information on the application.
Last Day to Apply: Open until sufficient applications are received, may close at any time.
The Los Angeles Zoo strives to have a workforce that is representative of the diverse communities of Los Angeles and we encourage people of all backgrounds, including applicants who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, people with varying abilities, women and of the LGBTQAI+ communities, to apply. For candidates seeking initial City employment, in accordance with Los Angeles City Ordinance 187134, information regarding COVID-19 vaccination requirements as conditions of employment be found at: https://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2021/21-0921_ord_187134_8-24-21.pdf