Private Events Manager
Title: Private Events Manager
Department: Site Rentals
Reports to: VP, Events & Operations
Direct Report: Private Events Coordinator
Status: Full time, Exempt
The Private Events Manager is responsible for proactively selling and servicing private events at the Los Angeles Zoo. The Private Events Manager will conduct site tours, negotiate contracts and handle the planning of the logistics for the event. The Manager will collaborate with the internal GLAZA departments, Zoo operations and animal care departments to coordinate timing and logistics. In working closely with the catering department, the manager will ensure the best possible event experience for our guests.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, industry partners, outside vendors and supports to sell the L.A. Zoo as a prime event space
- Collaborate with internal departments at GLAZA and the Zoo to ensure maximum exposure of venue, capabilities and unique experiences
- Manage sales activities such as sales calls, site visits, marketing brochures, websites, and cold-calls to generate revenue and book business
- Prospect, solicit and develop client base via personal contact, outside calls, correspondence, email and other means of communication
- Oversee all aspects of the event sales process; create and negotiate contracts, collect deposits and payments in a timely manner, obtain COIs, and work with internal departments to ensure all event details are prepared and communicated
- Manage marketing calendar (salesforce, print ads, e-blasts, and networking events), and coordinate social media account
- Assist with budget management by maintaining detailed records, logs and other related information
- Create event proposals to cover event costs and drive revenue
- Coordinate day-of event logistics with Private Events Coordinator and Event Operations Team, who will oversee the on-site day-of event operations
- Create timelines and lead staff through event duties including set-up, event management, and tear down
- Effectively communicate with internal departments, operational staff and catering staff regarding timing, set-up needs, rental orders, and breakdown etc.
- Work closely with Special Events Team to ensure communication across departments is effective and timely; address and resolve issues related to double bookings and conflicting public events
- Consistently deliver highest standards of service to existing customers and promote further business by exceeding customer expectations where possible
- Place event staffing requests and rental orders to accommodate specific event needs
- At the discretion of the VP, Events & Operations plan and/or assist with GLAZA special events
- Ability to work all GLAZA galas
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum education: Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree (4-year) in Hospitality Management, Business or related field
- Years of related experience: 5+ years
- Previous experience with sales and operations in a hotel, museum, catering or event venue required
- Demonstrated excellence in client/customer service and sales
- Strong communication skills; both written and verbal. Ability to communicate persuasively
- Ability to listen perceptively, and to convey sensitivity and awareness to current and prospective clients. Ability to maintain confidentiality when necessary
- Must be detail oriented and able to multi-task
- Leadership experience; overseeing event staff, volunteers, etc.
- Proficiency in industry software/apps, as well as Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Possess a positive attitude and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit and to work on computer for extended periods of time
- Demonstrated ability to lift moderate weight using proper safety techniques
- General knowledge of backline and production capabilities
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) language skills preferred
- Possession of a valid Class C Driver’s License; ability to travel locally
- Ability to work various shifts, including early, late and weekend events
**For the protection of our staff, GLAZA requires all employees to provide proof of vaccination for COVID-19.
The salary for this position is $64,480, depending upon experience and qualifications. GLAZA provides full-time employees with a full range of benefits, including medical, dental, can vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; an FSA plan; paid vacation and sick leave; a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match and additional employer contributions based on longevity; 16 paid holidays per year; free parking; complimentary daytime passes to the Zoo and to L.A. Zoo Lights; and discounts on Zoo concessions and merchandise.
To apply for this position:
Email your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls or emails, please